Question about Technical Questions I am still using Mac OS X 10.4 “Tiger” - what can I do?
After the release of Mac OS X 10.8 “Mountain Lion” in late July 2012, we have dropped official support for Mac OS X 10.4 “Tiger,” which at the time was already 7 years old. To use our software on older Macs, you should have at least Mac OS X 10.5 “Leopard.”
However, there is an unofficial method to install the most recent program version under “Tiger” and operate it in compatibility mode using Java 1.5. Please proceed as follows:
- Download and install the program “Pacifist” by CharlesSoft. The free trial version will suffice.
- Download the latest download archive (e.g., catan_cak_231d_eng_Mac-Universal.dmg), then double-click for activation.
- Open the installation package (e.g., “Catan - Cities & Knights V1.231d”) with Pacifist. For this purpose, simply drag the package icon onto the Pacifist application icon.
- In the Pacifist window, please open the icons one by one. Deep inside you will find a file called “payload.tar.” Drag this file from the Pacifist window to your desktop.
- Double-click “payload.tar” to unpack the archive. This will create the game “Catan - Cities & Knights.”
- To run it on “Tiger,” you have to activate the compatibility mode in our software.
(In a nutshell: right-click on the “Catan - Cities & Knights” application icon, “Show Package Contents,” double-click on “Compatibility_mode_on.command.”)
- Afterwards, you can move the application to any folder for which you have write permission at all times during run time, so it can keep itself up-to-date using the automatic update mechanism integrated into the program.