“Catan - Cities & Knights” –
Additional Information to
Run Program in Windows
Administrator Privileges Prompt when Starting Program
Beginning with installer version 1.231, administrator privileges are no longer requested when starting “Catan - Cities & Knights.” If you installed the game with installer version 1.230 or earlier, the game still requests administrator privileges every time you start it. Unfortunately, this also applies if you updated to version 1.231 via in-game update.
In this case, if you want to play the game without administrator privileges, you need to uninstall the game and re-install it using installer version 1.231 or newer.
Please read our notes regarding the transfer of your saved games (see below)!
Installation Instructions (Also for Windows XP)
- Please run the installation while logged into your computer with the user account you later want to use for playing the game. This is also required if your user account does not belong to the group of users with administrator privileges, particularly when using Windows XP.
- “Catan - Cities & Knights” will be installed into your own home directory, since this is where the game stores its settings and, if necessary, post-installs updates from the Internet.
- You will still be asked to enter a user name and password with administrator privileges. This also applies to Windows XP if your user belongs to the group of standard users.
Please note: Only the user who installed the game can play it.
Update Instructions / Transfer of Saved Games
If you uninstall the game, you will temporarily lose the full version of the game. More importantly, you will also lose your saved games. To preserve your saved games and your status in the campaign, before starting the uninstall process you need to save the following two folders:
After reinstallation, you need to restore these two folders. The folder “Client” can be found at the following location:
- Old installer (up to and including 1.230):
C:\Program Files\Catan\Catan - Cities and Knights\
or alternatively at
C:\Program Files (x86)\
- New Installer (1.231 or newer):
- Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\AppData\CatanSuR\
- Windows Vista / Windows 7:
Please replace the two words “User Name” with the user name you are logged into your computer with.
- Windows XP:
In any case, after reinstallation you will have to reenter your license key to unlock the full program version again.